Here is my list of ingredients (I've written them in the left margin of my cookbook so that I don't have to keep that other version around anymore):
- 1 1/3 cup cream or half and half
- 2 1/2 cups milk (why would you want to use low fat here?)
- omit bay leaves
- 1 pound penne
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick and 2 tbl) butter(I told you it was to die for!)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 oz. grated cheese, I like White Cheddar
- Can omit Parmesan (but when is less cheese a good thing?)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup or more bread crumbs, preferably fresh (p.876)
- Preheat the oven to 350 instead of 400.
- No changes.
- Melt only 1/2 of the butter. After you add the cheese add the cream.
- Top the bread crumbs with remaining butter cut into small pieces. Bake for 30 minutes and let stand for 5 before serving.