Quote from Intro:

"Anyone can cook, and most everyone should. It's a sorry sign that many people consider cooking 'from scratch' an unusual and even rare talent.
In fact, it is a simple and rewarding craft, one that anyone can learn and even succeed at from the get-go."
-Bittman, HTCE

Friday, February 5, 2010

Pizza


Recipe: pizza dough and various variations
Page: HTCE 178, HTCEV p.724
Rating: *****

I only use Bittman's pizza dough recipe now and make it often. It's easy to work with if you're not in a hurry. When he says "let it rest," then you should do just that. It will make two good-sized thin crust pizzas for me easily.

We top it with all kinds of things. We've left it bare and grilled it. We've gone the basil/fresh tomatoes/slivered garlic route and loved it. (Actually I served this an appetizer/accompaniment to his quiche for a ladies' lunch that Bridgette was at--she'll agree: you can't stop eating it!) We haven't had a variation or a pizza yet we DIDN'T like from this book. I'd like to try the Alsatian version that's loaded with bacon and onions. MMMM

A note: if making this by hand, it helps to warm up the water and add the oil and water together. I've made this by hand and with the food processor; it's easier with the food processor, but very doable by hand, too.

So, pizza dough: *****

4 comments:

  1. I love this pizza dough recipe and it is on deck for tomorrow night's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night (and I'm making it again tonight) and for me it perfectly made one huge rectangle pizza on my 15"x12" stone. We added the quick tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella. I used AP flour in the raw garlic variation and that added a garlicky background flavor to the whole thing. Tonight I'm using bread flour and I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I get one pizza crust that fits my big circular stone and one that fits my big bar pan/stone. I roll those crusts out pretty thin though and let them "rest" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have made this dough on and off for the past year and a half and it has really been a hit or miss recipe. Then I tried it again last week and I think I finally nailed down what makes this recipe so good: bread flour! With AP it is an okay pizza but I love this dough made with bread flour. It is going back on my 2-week rotation for sure!! Also during these cold months (especially when your yeast is coming out of the freezer) be sure to add warm water. This will shorten your rise time and make a fuller dough.

    ReplyDelete

Oooooh, we love comments!!