Quote from Intro:

"Anyone can cook, and most everyone should. It's a sorry sign that many people consider cooking 'from scratch' an unusual and even rare talent.
In fact, it is a simple and rewarding craft, one that anyone can learn and even succeed at from the get-go."
-Bittman, HTCE

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sourdough Pancakes (Variation of Everyday Pancakes)


Recipe: Sourdough Pancakes (Variation of Everyday Pancakes)
Page: HTCE p. 812
Rating: ****

Since I have a sourdough starter that needs feeding and using up during the week, I thought I'd give the sourdough pancakes (p. 812) a whirl.

I'm not sure how to describe these: very chewy and dense with a texture similar to that of good French toast made from French bread. They're very good and you could use a number of toppings on them other than syrup: fruit syrup, peanut butter, honey, etc. Leftovers hold up well, too. If you wanted to try to recreate one of those decadent breakfast sandwiches that use pancakes as the "bread," then these would be a good candidate. We really liked them and will make them often. They're not a true substitute for regular pancakes, though, if you're in the mood for the usual light and fluffy-soak-up-as-much-syrup-as-possible pancakes.

Question (I constantly question the editing of this book since there are definitely some errors)

Bittman says to halve the milk, flour, and other ingredients. That would make the amount of milk needed for the sourdough variation 3/4-1 cup. But, when he's giving the mixing directions, he says to add 1/2 cup of milk. That's what I did, but my batter was much thicker than the thin batter he described. Perhaps I should have added half of the milk, meaning 3/4-1 cup, not 1 half cup? I liked the pancakes a lot, but next time I may add the extra milk and see what the texture is like--they might not be as chewy.

HTCE p.812
HTCEV p.201
Full Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooooh, we love comments!!