Quote from Intro:

"Anyone can cook, and most everyone should. It's a sorry sign that many people consider cooking 'from scratch' an unusual and even rare talent.
In fact, it is a simple and rewarding craft, one that anyone can learn and even succeed at from the get-go."
-Bittman, HTCE

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Smoky Black Bean Soup


Recipe: Smoky Black Bean Soup
Page: HTCE p. 137
Rating: ***

Again, Bittman to the rescue at 5:00 (I really don't do this every night...).

Anyway, Smoky Black Bean Soup (p. 137) is not bad. I used water, 2 cans of black beans with their liquid, the dried chipotle, and subbed 2 t. cumin for the chili powder. The verdict? I'll make this again, but I like my long-cooked Cuban Black Soup better. I think this was a little thin--maybe cut the liquid down? The chipotle doesn't make it too spicy--partly because it's put in there whole. The soup is pretty basic, but it's a nice, quick bean soup stand-by since it really is ready in less than 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooooh, we love comments!!